Friday 30 October 2009

Computer Game A.I.

I heard recently that gamers are typically quiet loyal about which MMO games they play. We only spend time on one. I think its the same with other genres too. At the moment if I fancy a bit of shooting its COD4 (I think I'm getting excited about Modern Warfare 2). If I want to do some subjugating and conquering I'm playing Empire Total War...again.

Its such a deep game - the mix between real time and turn based is still the best I've seen. I've completed it a few time but its got me thinking about AI in today's strategy games.

I'm not a developer and I'm no techie but the AI seems to be a little bit substandard. For instance, If I'm defending a fort, and the sieging army has managed to blow a hole in the wall - you'd imagine it would be bad news. But no due to AI problems it means you can hardly lose. Simply line up 3 rows of soldiers (and a puckle gun if you've got it) and the opposing army will stream through the hole in the wall - the first wave of attack will be obliterated very quickly. So surely a bit of basic AI would say, hmmm don't do that again. But alas no, they keep on coming and they keep on dying. The poor AI has caused a loop hole which basically means I can complete the game very very easily - even on the hardest setting.

So my point - is it really so difficult to have slightly more thoughtful AI in a strategy game. Is a strong single player game experience no longer so important? It wasn't so long ago that FARCRY came out. Its enemy soldier AI was remarkable they'd flush you out with pincer movements and do what you least wanted them to - brilliant!

I hoped that the more thoughtful, intelligent AI would find its way into strategy games too. But no - there seems to be the rush approach, the turtle approach and that is about it. I want clever thoughtful strategy which isn't obvious. Clearly the multi player settings mean that you can have a more realistic challenge against another person, but again it often comes down to who knows the latest rush trick. Very rarely will you have a well balanced game. I want single player clever AI strategy games. Is it too much to ask?


No comments:

Post a Comment