Tuesday 10 November 2009

Setting up my World of Warcraft Authenticator

This is the third and final instalment of the perils of getting your WoW account hacked, after Blizzard restored all of my characters, items, gold etc and I'd updated my password, I still didn't feel comfortable with the security on my account, so I invested in a couple of Authenticator tokens.

At 6 euros each they seemed pretty good value, so I got one for me and one for Dog Junior who is also a WoW player, selecting priority postage cost me a further 8 euro's which didn't seem great value, but I sat back and waited for them to arrive.  Two days later a small parcel appeared with two Key's (or tokens as they are referred to) along with a slip of paper telling me where to go to enable my "key".

As it happened these directions were incorrect since Blizzard has just moved everyone over to battlenet, but hey ho - off I went and logged into battlenet and headed for the security options, it was a fairly obvious point and click procedure to register the key which involves entering the serial number off the back of the unit and then a numeric value from the key at the time you are registering it (you just press the button and a 6 digit number appears).

Once it was registered with my account (with a little message to assure you of this) you just login into WoW as normal, after you've entered your e-mail instead of logging in, a small box appears asking for the security number, just press the button on the token and enter the code - hey presto, your in.

It really was pretty simple, the key does some very funky stuff with a pre-programmed series of numbers which I believe change over a set time period (every 10 minutes an hour? I'm not sure) which pretty means unless you give your key up and your login details your account is safe.

It's easy to use and certainly has provided piece of mind, since I've accumulated nearly 150 days of on-line time playing WoW I really wouldn't want some scumbag taking that away from me. (again)

I'm not a doom monger and happily played WoW since launch without one of these little trinkets, but for the cost of 6 euros, I really would recommend getting one.

No comments:

Post a Comment